We are seeking your views on our pedestrian safety scheme on Quay Road
(Click map for downloadable/printable .pdf version)
Due to COVID-19 and the need for safe social distancing areas we are planning the following scheme on Quay Road:
- Fence off an area of the loading bay which will be for pedestrians to allow safer social distancing.
- This new fenced off area and the pavements will be free from any obstructions – i.e., no A Boards or tables or chairs. It must be a free space to allow social distancing.
- We will use traffic barriers to fence off the loading bays and make wooden planters to enhance this area. We also allow gaps in the barriers to allow pedestrians to cross the road.
- Provision for two loading bays (12 meters each) will be located at the start and end of the road.
- We are proposing that this scheme will be in place from the 1stMay 2021 until the 30th September 2021 to allow pedestrians visiting Quay Road a safe social distancing experience.
- There will be a passing place to allow safe traffic movement
Why are we doing this?
- The main driver is to allow safe pedestrian social distancing due to the COVID risk.
- We also want to avoid pedestrians stepping off the pavement into the loading bay/road and avoid near misses with traffic. In previous years we have had a number of reports of near misses.
- The current loading bay is 94 meters and provides loading facilities for a handful of businesses along Quay Road. The size of the loading bay is far too big for the amount of businesses along that stretch of road.
- We want to create a better visitor experience in the Harbour area with more pedestrian friendly areas.
- This scheme will act as a trial to see how much of a benefit it is to businesses and the town.
- Once the scheme has ended will do an evaluation and publish our findings.
If you would like to comment on the scheme please email firstname.lastname@example.org